Free Consultation (212) 970-6500

Free Consultation
(212) 970-6500

Close this search box.

Summertime Slip and Falls

slip and fall accident in office

Although winter ice and snow may come to mind when we think of slip and falls, these types of accidents are also extremely common during the summer. Food and beverage spills and water accumulation from rainstorms, pools, sprinklers, or hoses can create dangerous conditions in the warmer months that lead to slippery surfaces, wet tiles, slick grass, and puddles. These kinds of hazards can cause slip and fall accidents that may result in serious injuries.

Liability for Summer Slip and Falls

There are many places where slip and falls can occur during the summer — they can happen at home or during vacation. Amusement parks, water parks, recreational boats, pools, picnic areas, summer camps, and food courts are all locations where slip and fall accidents in the summer are likely to occur. 

Those who are responsible for maintaining these types of locations have a duty to ensure the premises are kept in a reasonably safe condition. If your slip and fall was due to the negligence, carelessness, or recklessness of another, they may be held liable for your injuries under the theory of premises liability. 

Negligence in a slip and fall may be found when an owner, manager, or employee knew about — or should have known about — a hazardous condition that they failed to remedy. For example, if an employee knew about a spill for a period of time but didn’t mop it, negligence may arise if someone slipped on it and was injured. Negligence may also be found based on a failure to warn about a dangerous condition, such as by placing a “wet floor” sign in the area. 

Summer Slip and Fall Injuries

Summer slip and falls can be a serious matter and require extensive medical treatment. They can cause severe injuries such as:

  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Concussion
  • Broken bones
  • Soft tissue injuries
  • Sprains and strains
  • Torn ligaments
  • Abrasions
  • Nerve damage
  • Broken or fractured hip
  • Spine damage
  • Paralysis
  • Fatality

If you were injured in a slip and fall, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Some injuries may not be obvious at first and can develop later. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your slip and fall, your doctor will likely examine you and run diagnostic tests to determine the extent of your injuries. A course of medical treatment for slip and fall injuries can include physical therapy, hot or cold packs, acupuncture, chiropractic care, medication, or surgery in some cases.

Recoverable Damages in a Summer Slip & Fall Accident

If you required medical treatment for your slip and fall injuries, you may have incurred substantial medical expenses and lost time from work. If the accident was due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to recover these damages in a personal injury action. 

Economic damages in a slip and fall case can include any medical expenses for which you were not reimbursed, out-of-pocket costs related to medical care, and lost wages. If ongoing treatment is required, you may be able to recover compensation for future medical expenses. 

A slip and fall victim may also be awarded for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and punitive damages.

Contact a New York Premises Liability Attorney

If you sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney right away who handles premises liability cases. In any slip and fall accident, there are strict statutes of limitation that begin running from the date of the accident and shorter ones if the claim involves a municipality. If you slipped and fell due to another’s negligence, The Dearie Law Firm, P.C. can help you obtain the maximum compensation available for your injuries. 

The Dearie Law Firm, P.C. has convenient office locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx as well as mobile locations serving Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, Staten Island, Westchester, Rockland County, Nassau County, and Suffolk County. Contact us for a consultation.